Include Some Ability Stats in In-Game Description

verðandi

Original poster
Apr 5, 2024
Hi all,

I've always liked being able to see people's physical stats + charisma roughly represented in their in-game description. You could argue that it's somewhat metagamey, but with a counter system that allows for some obfuscation that issue would be resolved. I think it adds a lot when I can get a rough idea of what angle someone's character has just from looking at them, and vice versa.

You could even make it an examine feature based on spot that takes time to use, and perhaps flesh it out with that some things are easier to see than others (strength) and others for which you need higher spot (constitution). I'm sure people used to game design can make something better from it than me.

Suggestion:
  • Show an approximation of physical attributes + charisma either in description or in another way
  • Adding a counter-mechanic that allow (some of?) them to be obfuscated

I'd personally do something along these lines, that small investments should show but high+ left more vague:

6-7, -2 mod, Poor
8-9, -1 mod, Below Average
10-11, +0 mod, Average
12-13, +1 mod, Above Average
14-17, +2 to +3 mod, High
18+, >+4 mod, Very High

I'm well aware of the current state of things with staff being overworked, so if anything just see this post as a suggestion for a future where things clear up.

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: Farwalker
Not entirely sure how I feel about such a system.
On one hand it makes sense to be able to look at somebody and tell at a glance that they look like they can both take and dish out hits, like high STR and CON.

But on the other hand you can't really judge how dexterous somebody is, nor can you really tell somebody's INT, WIS or CHA (so basically all of the mental stats) by just having a look at them.

This would really just end up being a STR and CON measure all in all, if we want to stick with something somewhat believable. And at that point why even have this system?

Reactions: Farwalker
haha yeah I like the idea of the physical ability scores (Con, Str, Dex) being examined by another character, but I always found it strange when the custom examine feature on another server gave you hints for a character's charisma, intelligence and wisdom. Like what is everyone supposed to be psychic?

Never seen this used for anything but quickly deducing someone's class/build based on their stat spread. It doesn't actually add any roleplay that reading someone's description and actions can't.