Shaman Class: Chants and More

Bonfire

Original poster
Jun 5, 2024
Firstly, I've been having a great time playing shaman. Dealing with what magic means when dealing with groups, fitting into society, trying to tap into the more spiritual side of things.
I do have some suggestions for some things that I feel seem a little neglected when it comes to them as a class, after reviewing and thinking and planning for the future of the character.

Shamans can be a whole many things to a whole many people. Like being not just a spiritual guide but also being a pillar of a community. Ceremonies, peace-talks, Whipping warriors into a war frenzy, taking the sick/injured through cleansing rituals. Being a guardian of the elements, making sure others respect the great waves of the sea, the winds of spring time, or even the smallest flame as it can spring into the largest fire. Or just being that Hermit or Witch that's someone can go to when they want a secret magical boon or remedy or fortune telling.

Can shamans already RP this out? Sure they can, if they have a fitting spell in their list that for the situation. But giving a bit more chants could allow for more flavor and utility for the class. It can also fit into the Shaman Paths as well.
Mechanically something similar to bard songs. Instead of the purge the soul/favored by spirits/ancestor chant class feat at 4/10/15, give a shaman bonus feat to pick a chant - tie it into the Perform skill as well since you are doing a ritual dance to request/inspire/invoke something related to your patron spirit.
Something like a War Fervor, that grants bonuses to fighting such as to hit/damage, saves vs fear, damage reduction/resistance during the duration
Restorative Trance that's can't be done in combat, regen saves vs poison/disease, more regen and saves vs poison/disease level 10/so on
Elemental Beseechment that requests aid from the elemental beings beings to protect or empower for the duration
Keep it that "This ability may be used once every 30 minutes. Duration is 5 rounds + 1 round / CHA modifier."

Could also throw in additional shaman feats to pick instead of other chants. Such as extending chant duration or shaman path powers, or similar to the bard's practiced prowess but more community related Bluff - Diplomacy - Intimidate - Sense Motive and a +3 to perform to add to that ritual leader vibe

I only really suggest all this because I feel like the path feats sort of allude to these things and anything in the realm of what I suggested would simply build more on those paths and help a player tailor what they want their shaman to embody.